By Scott A. Mitchell
Divided into 3 elements (Histories; Traditions; Frames), this advent lines Buddhism's heritage and come across with North American tradition, charts the panorama folks Buddhist groups, and engages present methodological and theoretical advancements within the field.
The quantity includes:
- a brief creation to Buddhism
- A old survey from the nineteenth century to the present
- assurance of latest US Buddhist groups, together with Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana
Theoretical and methodological matters and debates coated include:
- Social, political and environmental engagement
- Race, feminist, and queer theories of Buddhism
- Secular Buddhism, electronic Buddhism, and modernity
- pop culture, media, and the arts
Pedagogical instruments comprise bankruptcy summaries, dialogue questions, pictures and maps, a word list, and case reports. The book's web site presents urged extra assets together with web content, books and flicks, equipped via bankruptcy. With person chapters which could stand all alone and be assigned out of series, Buddhism in America is the appropriate source for classes on Buddhism in the USA, American spiritual historical past, and advent to Buddhism.
Read or Download Buddhism in America: Global Religion, Local Contexts PDF
Similar buddhism books
On the age of 16 Dennis Lingwood found that he was once - and continuously were - a Buddhist. This recognition used to be to behave because the driver at the back of a existence during which Lingwood, now larger referred to as Sangharakshita, has performed a tremendous half within the advent of Buddhism to the West. The Rainbow highway lines Sangharakshita's improvement from a adolescence ruled via sickness and books to homeless wandering and ordination as a Buddhist monk.
The go back of Murano’s vintage TranslationThe Lotus Sutra is likely one of the most crucial sutras in Mahayana Buddhism. It was once translated into chinese language by means of Kumarajiva in 406 CE lower than the identify: Myohorengekyo (Miao-Fa-Lien-Hua-Ching). The chinese language identify potential “Sutra of the Lotus Flower of the fantastic Dharma.
A realistic, down-to-earth consultant to Vasubandhu's vintage paintings "Thirty Verses of awareness Only" that can remodel glossy existence and alter the way you see the realm. during this down-to-earth e-book, Ben Connelly sure-handedly publications us throughout the intricacies of Yogacara and the richness of the “Thirty Verses.
Yijiang Zhong analyses the formation of Shinto as a posh and various non secular culture in early glossy and Meiji Japan, 1600-1868. Highlighting the function of the god Okuninushi and the mythology founded at the Izumo Shrine in western Japan as a part of this technique, he indicates how and why this god got here to be overlooked in kingdom Shinto within the sleek interval.
- Moral Theory in Santideva's Siksasamuccaya: Cultivating the Fruits of Virtue (Routledge Critical Studies in Buddhism)
- Sunlight Speech That Dispels the Darkness of Doubt: Sublime Prayers, Praises, and Practices of the Nyingma Masters
- Tibetan Ritual
- Rights, Religion and Reform: Enhancing Human Dignity through Spiritual and Moral Transformation
- Polir la lune et labourer les nuages : oeuvres philosophiques et poétiques (Spiritualités vivantes) (French Edition)
Additional resources for Buddhism in America: Global Religion, Local Contexts