By Rachel Poliquin
From sixteenth-century cupboards of wonders to modern animal paintings, The Breathless Zoo: Taxidermy and the Cultures of Longing examines the cultural and poetic historical past of protecting animals in vigorous postures. yet why could someone are looking to defend an animal, and what's this animal-thing now? Rachel Poliquin means that taxidermy is entwined with the iconic human longing to discover which means with and in the wildlife. Her learn attracts out the longings on the middle of taxidermy—the eager for ask yourself, good looks, spectacle, order, narrative, allegory, and remembrance. In so doing, The Breathless Zoo explores the animal spectacles wanted by means of specific groups, human assumptions of superiority, the yearnings for hidden truths inside of animal shape, and the loneliness and longing that hang-out our unusual human life, being either inside and except nature.
Read or Download The Breathless Zoo: Taxidermy and the Cultures of Longing (Animalibus: Of Animals and Cultures) PDF
Best zoology books
This ebook is meant as a systematic source for cannabinoid researchers accomplishing animal and human experiments, and should you have an interest in studying approximately destiny instructions in cannabinoid learn. also, this booklet might be of worth to investigators at present operating open air the sector of cannabinoid examine who've an curiosity in studying approximately those compounds and their bizarre cannabinoid signalling.
A wide selection of species, together with people, indicates a remarkably trustworthy habit development, often called spontaneous alternation habit (SAB), that has intrigued researchers for over seven a long time. although the main points might fluctuate counting on species and surroundings, SAB basically includes first picking out one member of a couple of choices after which the opposite, with no directions or incen tives to take action.
Concentrating on the physiological and behavioral elements that permit a species to reside in a harsh seasonal atmosphere, this publication locations the social biology of marmots in an environmental context. It attracts at the result of a 40-year empirical examine of the inhabitants biology of the yellow-bellied marmot close to the Rocky Mountain organic Laboratory within the top East River Valley in Colorado, united states.
First released greater than a century in the past, The Biography of a Grizzly recounts the lifetime of a fictitious undergo named Wahb who lived and died within the better Yellowstone zone. This re-creation combines Ernest Thompson Seton’s vintage story and unique illustrations with ancient and clinical context for Wahb’s tale, delivering an intensive figuring out of the atmosphere, cultural connections, biology, and ecology of Seton’s best-known publication.
- Mein Ich, die anderen und wir: Die Psychologie der Persönlichkeit und die Kunst des Wohlbefindens (Unitext for Physics) (German Edition)
- Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Gaumenbildung bei den Reptilien (German Edition)
- Selected Topics in Environmental Biology: Based on the Sessions on Environmental Biology Held at the XXVI International Congress of Physiological Sciences, New Delhi, October 20-26, 1974
- Aminergic and Peptidergic Receptors: Satellite Symposium of the 3rd Congress of the Hungarian Pharmacological Society, Szeged, Hungary, 1979: Aminergic ... in pharmacological research and practice)
- Biodiversity and Evolutionary Ecology of Extinct Organisms (Springer Theses)
- The Stick Insects of Colombia: A catalogue and bibliography with the descriptions of four new genera and 74 new species
Additional resources for The Breathless Zoo: Taxidermy and the Cultures of Longing (Animalibus: Of Animals and Cultures)