By Laurence Senelick
* tribal rituals and shamanic practices within the Balkans and Chinese-Tibet
* the gender-bending components of Greek and early Christian religion
* the gay charm of the boy actor at the conventional level of China, Japan and England
* the origins of the dame comic, the important boy, the glamour drag artiste and the male impersonator
* artists equivalent to David Bowie, Boy George, Charles Ludlam, Dame Edna Everage, Lily Savage, sweet Darling, Julian Clary and the recent York Dolls.
Lavishly illustrated with strange and infrequent photos, this is often the 1st ever cross-cultural examine of theatrical transvestism. it's a needs to for an individual attracted to cross-dressing, theatre, and gender.
Read or Download The Changing Room: Sex, Drag and Theatre (Gender in Performance) PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Seems to be may be deceiving, and in a society the place one's prestige and entry to chance are principally attendant on actual visual appeal, the problem of ways distinction is developed and interpreted, embraced or effaced, is of large import. Lisa Walker examines this factor with a spotlight at the questions of what it capacity to appear like a lesbian, and what it potential to be a lesbian yet to not appear like one.
An research of unpublished letters to the 1st American homosexual journal unearths the organization, version, and resistance taking place within the homosexual group in the course of the McCarthy period. during this compelling social historical past, Craig M. Loftin describes how homosexual humans within the usa skilled the Fifties and early Nineteen Sixties, a time whilst speedily becoming homosexual and lesbian subcultures suffered frequent discrimination.
During this pathbreaking paintings, Jasbir ok. Puar argues that configurations of sexuality, race, gender, country, category, and ethnicity are realigning when it comes to modern forces of securitization, counterterrorism, and nationalism. She examines how liberal politics contain definite queer matters into the fold of the countryside, via advancements together with the felony acceptance inherent within the overturning of anti-sodomy legislation and the proliferation of extra mainstream illustration.
What might you do after the guy of your desires battered you simply because he believed you’ve been untrue? may well you forgive this guy to whom you’ve given each piece of your center? fascinating, prosperous homosexual Black megastar Wesley (Wes) Laurence Kelly, forty five, yearns for an everlasting, enjoyable love. regrettably, disastrous relationships have left him shattered and disappointed.
- Sexual Deceit: The Ethics of Passing
- In This Day and Age?!: A Community at the Crossroads of Religion and Homosexuality
- The Culture of Queers
- Charity and Sylvia: A Same-Sex Marriage in Early America
- Desiring Emancipation: New Women and Homosexuality in Germany, 1890-1933 (SUNY series in Queer Politics and Cultures)
Additional resources for The Changing Room: Sex, Drag and Theatre (Gender in Performance)